.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

canoeing, kayaking and other adventures

canoeing and kayaking adventures born in the Southeastern U.S. and now centered in Scotland...

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Farewell, Window, and Fireworks 1/9/2007 – 2/9/2007

I’m still not sure how I managed it, but I talked myself into property ownership ahead of Mini ownership. The biggest blame is perhaps the cost of rent. On Saturday, 1 September, I bid farewell to my beautiful sitting room window and became semi-homeless for two weeks. I’m not going to miss the drafty winter nights or the rent, but I am going to miss the view of Arthur’s Seat, majestic or moody depending on the mood of the weather, and the (lack of) commute. I will be replacing it with a cycle commute around Arthur’s Seat and closer access for running, so losses do have gains.

Brian and I enjoyed a leisurely cycle to Musselburgh on Sunday and that night, we went to the fireworks concert at Princes Street Gardens that marked the official end to the Edinburgh International Festival. Amy and Bram joined us for a picnic in the gardens. Amy and Brian sprinted into the park to find a suitable picnic spot among the herd of other concert goers. Bram and I caught up a minute or so later. The theme of the concert was American classical music, ranging from Sousa to Gershwin. The fireworks were semi-choreographed with the music, and we wondered how someone might enter into such a niche career path. Most amusing was learning that Sousa’s "The Liberty Bell" was the theme to Monty Python’s Flying Circus, a show that was unfortunately before my time.

1 Comments:

At 13 September, 2007 21:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Property ownership?! Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home