.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

canoeing, kayaking and other adventures

canoeing and kayaking adventures born in the Southeastern U.S. and now centered in Scotland...

Monday, April 16, 2007

Northward tour and Glencar – 11/4/2007

Not feeling super energised for epic hikes after the night out, I decided to do useful things like get the Cavan Way trip slightly more organised and see about biking in our part of Ireland. After failing at the biking details (road touring was easy enough, but mountain biking was not) I motored up to Sligo and found a place to sleep there. The weather was gorgeous and the sunroof made the drive all the more enjoyable.

The hostel I found was in a dodgy part of town under the railroad tracks and past an industrial park. I wondered if I was checking into the Irish equivalent of the Bates Motel. The lady who checked me in seemed pleasant enough once I found her. No one else seemed to be around. Thankfully, by the time I got organised for the next part of my outing, others had started to trickle in and at worse, other victims were for the taking.

I found Indian takeaway and picked a nice spot for a picnic, a touristified walk to the waterfall at Glencar. After food and photos, I motored on toward Blacklion and Belcoo to see about accommodation options and also see how conspicuous the Cavan Way trail was. Accommodation was a bit of a bust but the trail was well marked. I wrote down a number of names for places to phone, but phoning would require internet to look up phone numbers. Nobody seemed to post their phone numbers on their signs. Do they want business? I motored in to Northern Ireland because I could and then headed back toward Sligo and sleep. Internet searches gave me phone numbers eventually and the next morning, I booked us at a place in Glenfarne.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home