.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

canoeing, kayaking and other adventures

canoeing and kayaking adventures born in the Southeastern U.S. and now centered in Scotland...

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Hiwassee Invasion: Memorial Day

The typical inaugural weekend for the Hiwassee is Memorial DAy. Sometimes they sneak a few releases in before, but the big weekend for all the boaters comes at Memorial Day. For us, this weekend is like visiting with an old friend. We invited a bunch of people and had 8 other people camping with us and probably about twice as many cooking/eating with us.

The weather wasn't as bright and sunny as it could have been, so the river wasn't as big a traffic jam as it could have been. I spent Saturday in my kayak doing a little teaching and a little boat wrangling. Saturday night, after Rachel and I enjoyed a short bike ride, we shared in a potluck dinner with everyone at camp. Sunday and Monday were solo canoe days for me -- I let Jody borrow my tandem partner. The canoe is getting a lot more comfortable for me. Diann gave me some good tips here and there. Leaning makes sense. I can't do everything I can do in a kayak, but that time will come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home