.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

canoeing, kayaking and other adventures

canoeing and kayaking adventures born in the Southeastern U.S. and now centered in Scotland...

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Emory River -- Nemo to Camp Austin

Winter clinic is just a one day thing, with meals, education and entertainment provided Saturday morning and evening and Sunday morning. They have a board for trips going out on Sunday. Lucas and I signed up to lead a trip on a Class II/II+ section of the Emory River. Ours was the only one on the board. Other trips were going out, but nothing "official".

Several of the people from my BSF class (Kelly, Ginger and Steve) joined us, as well as the photo ring leader Jim. It was a beautiful, sunny day and the level seemed like it would be pretty nice. The shuttle was as long as I remembered it (I think that's why more people don't run Nemo to Camp Austin). We put on a little bit after noon and promptly two of us swam Nemo rapid. A few rapids later, we upped the swim tally to include all of the female members of the group.

We had a fun time, with the sun shining overhead and the play opportunities more plentiful than I remembered. We spent about four hours on the river, playing everything we could find. The pools between rapids got a little long toward the end. I think I enjoy them more in a canoe than in a kayak, but perhaps that's because I'm a bit more frazzled in the canoe still, and I'm completely focused on survival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home